Thursday, December 19, 2013

Return of the Chocolate Truffle Recipe

Hello, friends!

I haven't skated in 4 days...like everyone this time of year, I've just been so busy!  I vow to do less and be more organized next year!  I've been busy making chocolate truffles like I do each year.  My friend Veronica mentioned that she loved the Spicy Kahlua Truffles I made a few years ago, so I just started a batch.  To the basic recipe, I added 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (yes, you read that right!), 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder, and Kahlua for the liqueur.  They are surprisingly good!

Anyway, since I don't have much to say about skating (except that I can't wait to fit some skating in soon for my mental health!), here is a repeat of my blog from last year about how to make your own chocolate truffles.  The results may not be beautiful on your first go, but I bet they'll be delicious!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 13, 2012

One of the symbols of the Christmas season for me is making and giving chocolate truffles.  I originally saw the recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle in the early '80s and have been making about 400 a year ever since then.

That's one of the reasons I love rollerblading...so I can indulge in sinful treats such as chocolate truffles upon occasion.  I'm partial to the dark chocolate varieties, but I've branched out to make milk chocolate, white chocolate and semisweet ones too.  Here's my recipe for the original dark chocolate ones.  They may not turn our looking picture perfect the first time--or even the 20th time--but they will taste great no matter how they look!

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffles

Chocolate Truffles

Centers:                                                                       Yield: 30-36 truffles             
1 c. heavy cream                                                  
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels                                   
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate                    
3 T. unsalted butter
1/4 c. liqueur (such as Amaretto, Chambord,
Crème de Menthe, or Grand Marnier)
(optional) 1/2 c. finely chopped nuts
(optional) 1 capful flavoring extract such as peppermint or almond
Chop unsweetened chocolate into morsel-sized pieces.  Simmer cream in a saucepan.  When cream comes to a boil, remove pan from heat.  Add both chocolates and butter.  Stir firmly with a wire whisk until chocolate-chip effect goes away and mixture is like pudding.  Pour into a bowl and continue to whisk until chocolate and butter is dissolved.  Stir in liqueur (and optional nuts or flavoring extract).  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
To shape centers, scoop about 1 tablespoon with a spoon; roll in your palms to form a ball.  Place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.  Freeze centers overnight.
Coating:   12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
                   6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
Note:  make sure you do NOT get any water in the melting chocolate.  Even a small amount of water will cause the chocolate to seize up.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler (or a bowl set over a pan of almost simmering water).  Remove chocolate from heat.  Dip frozen centers into chocolate one at a time.  Let extra coating drip off and place coated truffle on waxed paper lined baking sheet.  Refrigerate.  Before serving, allow truffles to warm about 15 minutes at room temperature.  

They keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

                  White Chocolate Mint


Milk chocolate and white chocolate require a different recipe.  If you don't like dark chocolate, try the recipe above using all semisweet chocolate.  Leave me a note here (or email me) if you would like the challenge of making milk or white chocolate varieties. 

Even after dozens of attempts, my white chocolate mint truffles look a bit lumpy! 






Enjoy your truffles if you make them and happy holidays to you and your family!


Keep skating!

Nancie ♥ 

-----------------------------------------------------------
My last skate:
12/16/13
Skate #16
Iron Horse Trail 3.04 mi
(How many truffles does that earn me?)

No comments:

Post a Comment