Tuesday, July 2, 2013

(NOT) Training for the 4th of July Run

Hello, friends!

As most of you know, I'm training for a skating 1/2 marathon on July 14 (Bastille Day!).  Ironically, I have been skating fewer miles per week WHILE training than I did BEFORE I was training.  

I've been skating longer miles at a time in preparation for this long event, but it's too taxing on my body to skate too many long skates in a week.  My goal had been two 10+ miles outings per week and then a couple of shorter ones (4-5 miles).  The longer ones seemed to burn me out a bit, so I think I'm going to just skate shorter skates for the remaining two weeks until my event.  

I think that's what I'm supposed to do anyway, but I'm kind of doing this training thing by the seat of my pants!

Which brings me to the Moraga Fun Run on the Fourth of July.  My husband and daughter have done it several years together, mostly the 2-mile run I think.  There's also a 5-miler which some friends are doing (yee-haa, Tricia and Brian!) The entrance fee for either distance includes a free pancake breakfast--who can pass that up?  

Somehow they talked my son into joining them.  Once that happened, I didn't want to be the odd person out, so I mused out loud, "Hmmmm…maybe I should join you for the 2-mile race and make it a family deal."  

My gang enthusiastically supported my decision with one caveat:  

Do NOT expect them to wait for me at the end of the race…they would be going directly to the pancake breakfast as soon as they finished!

Good to know where I rate on the pancake scale!

Ok, works for me, but now I find myself reasonably fit with my inline skating and yoga and the miscellaneous other exercises I fit in every couple of weeks or so.  But I haven't run in more years than I can remember!  

Is this a good idea?

I'm thinking it's quite possibly a not-so-good idea, but who says we should only do things that are good ideas?  

I'm putting it out there that sometimes we have to do things that may turn out to be bad ideas, just so we keep used to trying new activities and challenges.

I'll let you know how it goes!

On a jewelry related note, I'm working on 3 new pieces for birthday presents for some dear friends.  I'll be sure to photograph them and put them on my Facebook page:








Here's a necklace I made last week as a custom piece for a friend to give his wife...isn't he a peach?...amethyst, Swarovski crystals, garnet and sterling silver:








Next time:  "Learning How to Back into a Parking Space"

Keep skating...

Hugs,
Nancie ♥  

Nancie Zimmerman
NamiZuni Jewelry Design
Expressing Your Inner Goddess
NamiZuniJewelry.etsy.com

My last skate:
7/2/13
Skate #99 of 200
4.1 miles
Iron Horse Trail
(103 degrees!)

P.S. July 10th:  I only ran the first 1/4 mile and the last 1/4 mile and walked the rest of it.  I ended up finishing 14th of 23 for my age group.  My  shins and feet hurt quite a lot the next few days.  

I don't think I'll become a runner anytime soon, but I loved the camaraderie of being together with the other athletes.  I also loved the excitement of trying something I had never tried before.  Now I am excited for my skating 1/2 marathon on Sunday, July 14th.  I'll let you know how it goes!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I love that necklace. Beautiful.

    And a coach (business coach) once told me that in life some people are sprinters and some marathoners. That we need to honor that within ourselves .... Short, full-out bursts then rest OR long, steady till you finish then rest.

    Sounds like you're more of a sprinter!

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete