Sunday, November 17, 2013

Wheels for Meals Ride: The Conclusion

Hello, friends!


If you missed part 1 of my story about skating in a Meals on Wheels fundraiser click here.  Or, just jump right into the middle of the story--I'll recap it below:

To recap: 

- Last month I signed up to skate in a Meals on Wheels Alameda County fundraiser (click here), which started off in Shadow Cliffs Park in Pleasanton.
- It was a bicycling event, but one of the organizers, Jessica Albonico, told me that skaters were welcome.
- I decided to skate the shortest distance which was 15 miles, longer than I had ever skated

My husband Marty accompanied me in case I needed to bail partway though the event.  I really doubted that I could finish, but I was determined to give it my best shot.  

As I mentioned in my last blog, it was a beautiful, sunny fall day--cool in the morning but with a promise of warmer temperatures as the day wore on.  I left the park and headed out on a bike path that was the beginning of the course, realizing after about a mile or so that I had left my wrist guards in my car.  This realization made me feel a bit more tentative, a bit more cautious, but also added to my excitement.  

The dozens of bicyclists that passed me were all encouraging and supportive.  "How far are you going to skate?" many of them asked.  To each one I answered, "My goal is the entire 15 miles.  I'm going to see how it goes!"  

There is something so exciting about being part of a mass exercise event.  I discovered it for the first time over the summer when I skated a 1/2 marathon in Napa Valley, and again when I "ran" in the Moraga Fun Run on the Fourth of July.  Now I know why all of my running friends participate in races and other events.  The energy of the crowd combined with, in this case, supporting a worthy cause, just got me all pumped up. 

The course was smooth and well marked.  Despite this, what would be considered a smooth surface to bike, walk, or run on, would not be considered so smooth for my tiny inline wheels.  Nevertheless, it was as smooth as I expect skating on roads, bumpy curb cut-outs, and bike paths  to be.  That is, the bumps are challenging, but in a way that I like--it makes me work to stay relaxed and balanced.  That is part of what I like about skating...that it provides challenges that will I will never totally overcome.

Around mile 3, I was hitting my stride...warmed up, starting to feel some endorphins, pumped up by the crowds of bikers passing by me, and encouraged by the volunteers manning the course and directing the riders.  The course veered off the bike path and through residential neighborhoods.  

Fortunately, the course was well marked, because about mile 4 I realized that I had lost my course map!  At that point there were enough riders that I could just follow the crowd.  Around mile 5, there was a rest stop with water, fruit, and other snacks.  I was well provisioned with my Camelbak of water and my Gu energy gel, but I stopped at the rest stop anyway to catch my breath and regroup.  I was glad I stopped because I so enjoyed talking to the volunteers and participants.  One young man that I talked to was marveling that I expected to skate the entire 15 miles.  He said to me, "Wow, you must be almost 50 years old!"  Well, I'm a few years beyond that milestone, and I have to admit, it gave me a charge thinking that some of the younger folks were extra impressed that an "old lady" would tackle (and hopefully master) this challenge.

Another woman was telling me of a "enormous hill" coming up ahead.  "Will you be able to handle it?" she wondered.  I replied that I actually like to skate hills quite a bit, downhill more than uphill, but inside I reflected upon my missing wrist guards and wondered just how "enormous" this "enormous hill" was!  

Around mile 6, I was skating down a slight downhill when I noticed some volunteers motioning to me about a left turn.  I thought it was for one of the longer distances (the days event also had 2 longer bicycling options: 35 and 70 miles) and I skated past the turn.  To tell you the truth, I was coasting nicely downhill and didn't want to lose my momentum stopping to ask, so I continued straight ahead.

After a bit more than 1/2 mile, I realized that there were no longer any bicycles passing me, and I was beginning to realize I had made a mistake by not making the turn, so I called my husband, who had a copy of the course map.  He confirmed that I had missed my turn.  Reluctantly, I did an about face and skated back uphill towards my missed turn.  

My error cost me an additional 1.5 miles, so the 15 mile skate that I was unsure of being able to finish now had become a 16.5 mile skate!  I felt like a bit of a dope but plodded on.  In the back of my mind I kept telling myself, "Just do your best.  Keep skating as long as you can.  Just take 1 mile at a time."

We made it to the top of the hill!
Mile 8 found me back on a bike path and climbing a fairly steep and long hill.  I had to pause a few times on the way up to catch my breath, but I felt heartened by the number of bikers who had to dismount and walk their bikes up the hill.  At the top of the hill I was rewarded by a spectacular view of Pleasanton and the surrounding areas.  The downhill wound through vineyards and a llama farm.  So exhilarating!  Yee-haaaa!  A little nerve wracking when I reached the street at the bottom of the hill and had to keep myself from falling.  Again, I kept flashing on my missing wrist guards!

Sweaty me at the top of thill
By the time I reached mile 10, I was beginning to feel my confidence grow.  I had already gone more than half the distance, including the biggest hill on the course.  I passed by the second rest stop without stopping, feeling eager to finish the course and well fueled with my Camelbak for water and my Gu energy gel.  

The last 5 miles or so were mostly along city streets, some a bit busier than I would prefer, but nothing too challenging.  As I made the last turn back towards the park, I texted my husband to let him know I was almost finished.  He met me at the end of the course and cheered me on as I finished.  What a great feeling!  I had finished the course!

My Nike + Running app clocked my time and distance at 16.5 miles in 2 hours 12 minutes.  It was the longest time and distance I have ever skated. 

Cleaned up and resting on my laurels



As I changed out of my sweaty skating clothes and skates, I was filled with an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.  I said to my husband, "I feel like a beast for having done that!"  He replied, "You ARE a beast!"  I was on a high for days afterwards! 


What I liked about this event:

There are not too many organized skates, so I was happy to be able to participate in this event.  The money raised went to a great cause, Meals on Wheels Alameda County (link), and made me feel like I was part of something greater than just my own experience that day.  Being part of an organized sporting event is a thrill that I hadn't known until this year.  

I also liked the opportunity to push myself beyond my preconceived limits. Before this event, I didn't know how far I could skate, especially without the training I thought I needed.   I'm reminded over and over that accomplishing something big is sometimes just a matter of starting down a path and not stopping when things get a bit tough.  When a challenge presents itself--no wrist guards, going off course, having an equipment malfunction, feeling tired and discouraged--giving up is one choice but not the only choice.  Better still is to realize that you always have an alternative choice--you can choose instead to continue on anyway despite the obstacles.  

Would I do it again next year?

Yes, in a heartbeat.  This event was very well organized and attended.  The course was well marked and staffed.  Everyone was friendly.  It was a great location.  As I mentioned earlier, there are not too many events that I can do as a skater, so I appreciate being welcome to join in on the Wheels for Meals Ride 2013.  

Count me in for Wheels for Meals Ride 2014!  Maybe some of you would like to join me...on a bike or on skates!

Next time I'll have my wrist guards!

A shout out to the following people:

- Jessica Albonico for organizing a great event and welcoming me to participate as a skater
- Karen Kelly, Jessica's mom, who was so encouraging to me
- Marty Giedlin, my husband and biggest supporter
- Cathy Behm for advising me to start at my own pace and to just skate my own event
- Tricia Vaughan for moral support, advice, and for giving me my first tube of Gu energy gel
- my Aunt Marie Piacine for being a faithful supporter of my blog
- my skating buddies Cynthia McLoughlin, Kristine Hubner, Irline Van Ardenne, & Cheryl Ogren (aka Jayne Clobber)

Keep skating (or whatever you do)!

Hugs,
Nancie 


This skate:

10/19/13
Skate #143 of 200
16.5 miles
Pleasanton, CA

My last skate:
11/15/13
Skate #156 of 200
4.56 miles
UC Davis campus
Davis, CA

Nancie Zimmerman
NamiZuni Jewelry Design
Expressing Your Inner Goddess
925-890-9221

No comments:

Post a Comment