Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How Do You Play?


Hello, friends! 

"Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game."  Michael Jordan 

What do you like to do to play?  I like to skate, make jewelry, decoupage--basically gluing things to other things!--play board games, hang out with friends.  Like the dessert I talked about in my last blog, play keeps you young at heart, enlivens your spirit, takes your mind off sad times.

Early yesterday morning, our family was jolted awake with one of those phone calls nobody wants to receive.  My father-in-law, Dick Giedlin, had suffered an apparent heart attack outside his home in Virginia Beach and had been rushed to the local emergency room.  Sadly, soon after that initial call, we got word that he had passed away.  

Dick Giedlin was an amazingly warm, generous, smiling, funny man.  He took his responsibilities seriously, but he loved to laugh and enjoy those around him.  From the moment I met him as my future father-in-law, he treated me like family.  I was lucky to have had him in my life, in my husband's life, and in the lives of my children.  How would he respond to sad news like we received upon hearing of his death?  He would have grieved, of course, but he would make sure to keep enjoying life and the people around him. 

My way of handling the sadness was to strap on my skates and hit the trails.  Did it make me any less sad than I had been?  Not really.  Did it lighten my spirit and allow me to think of all the wonderful memories I've shared with my father-in-law and not dwell entirely on the sorrow?  Yes, it did.  

Here is the bridge next to the trail in Moraga where I like to skate.  Those wooden slats can be a bit tricky, so I had never before gotten the nerve to skate across this bridge and into the Commons Park.  I didn't really know what lay on the other side.  Today, knowing that I needed a bit of a boost, I gave it a try.  To my surprise, it took me to a part of the park I had never seen before.  Just the playful mood-booster I sorely needed.

In Memory of Richard John Giedlin 1929-2012

Tell your family and friends you love them, and don't forget to build in some time for play.

Keep skating! 

Nancie ♥ 

10/3/12 
Skate #134
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 4.54 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment