Thursday, October 11, 2012

Patterns While Skating: Wheels!

Hello, friends! 

Have you ever noticed that once one event happens, a string of events seem to follow in the same pattern or theme?  That's how it's been for me lately where it relates to wheels. (I've also got a pattern developing with one of our cats and a skunk, but that's another story and a pattern I hope won't extend past the 2 encounters we've already had in the last month!)

Case in point where wheels are concerned:  last week, I picked up a screw in the tire of one of our cars, necessitating a trip to Big O Tires.  No big deal, although I first tried filling the tire with air more than once, hoping I delay dealing with it.  No dice!

Then the next day I was out skating, and one of the wheels on my favorite rollerblades started sounding like the bearing was packed with sand...more like tiny particles of dirt, but enough to make it sound like metal grinding as I skated.  This is my favorite pair of skates and the only ones I feel comfortable skating the hills with.  Have I mentioned I'm addicted to hill skating...I love the speed.  It really gets my adrenaline going.  Yee-haaaaa!  Sometimes it's exactly what I require.

The best solution to my troublesome wheel would have been to remove the wheel and clean or replace the bearings.  Not having the required cleaning kit or extra bearings, I did the next best thing...cannibalized parts from one of my other pairs of skates.  This is where having 3 pairs of skates comes in handy!  Problem solved--or at least postponed for another day! 

(Note to self--order cleaning kit, extra bearings, and, while I'm at it, a new set of wheels...for inline skate supplies I love the site Inline Warehouse.)

Unbelievably a day or two later, I took one of our other cars into the shop for regular servicing and was told that we needed 2 new tires.  It wasn't a total surprise, but seriously, what's up with me and wheels lately?

The universe was not done showing me that this is the month for wheel and tire maintenance.  Yesterday I was again skating the Lafayette Moraga Trail on the steepest part...the only part that I need my brake for...and my brake picked up a small stick and lodged it against my rear wheel.  When this happens, the stick essentially acts like a chock on that wheel, locking it into a stopped position.  Normally, the forward momentum of the skate on the pavement breaks the stick and releases the wheel or at least merely slows down the wheel, but not this time.  This time, the stick was lodged in so well, that the wheel would not turn even a tiny bit.  I had to make an emergency stop, take off the skate, and dig the stick out.  All this on the fastest part of the downhill.  All part of the excitement, my friends!

I'm hoping I'm done with wheels for a little bit!  In the grand scheme of things, I realize that these problems are tiny.  I'm just wondering if there is some message here for me and what it could possibly be.  

Speaking of round things, here is the exercise ball I use for stretching and also as a fantastic ergonomic chair when sitting at my jewelry bench or working on the computer.  It is the largest size they make.  It's been so great for my back and my posture--I recommend it.  Plus look at that pretty color:



Remember, keep your tires inflated properly, rotate your tires, rotate your rollerblade wheels, and clean your rollerblade bearings every once in a blue moon....or keep some extra wheels on hand!

What patterns are you noticing in your life?

Keep skating!


Nancie ♥ 

P.S. If you have a skunk encounter, here is a good recipe and instructions for dealing with it:



10/9/12 
Skate #138
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 5.22 miles
(Fastest mile ever today: 4.31 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment