Thursday, October 18, 2012

Seizing Opportunity...Making Hay While the Sun Shines


Hello, friends!

Sometimes life situations get in the way of doing what we want to do.  In my case, I've been prevented from skating as much as I'd like by a combination of life events and weather.  That's just how life is.  It's like that John Lennon quote:


"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."  - John Lennon


We can't control what life throws at us, but we can control how we respond to it.  

For instance, our Bay Area fall has been so warm and sunny, but last week we had a couple of wet days.  It sidelined my skating and made me realize that there would be no-skating days ahead as our wet winter arrives.  And when it comes to skating--at least for me--there's no such thing as just a little moisture.  Even the slightest bit of wetness on the trail means that I can't skate.  

I learned my lesson on this score last spring when I accidentally slid through a puddle and ended up flat on the pavement face first.  (Okay, to be honest I was doing some hot dog maneuvers around some puddles...I could have easily avoided them but I was showing off a bit and was thinking to myself, "Damn, I'm looking pretty great at this...I wonder if anyone is watching what a good skater I am?"  Then I hit the puddle, skidded and "splat!"  I was glad no one was actually watching!)

Anyway, I didn't get to skate for about three days in a row last week and I was starting to feel a bit antsy.  As I prepared for my mom's open-heart surgery this week, I knew that I had to make every opportunity to skate as soon as the pavement dried.  

Here's a self-portrait I took
while skating earlier this week.
And skate I did!  I skated 4 days in a row for a total of over 20 miles.  I felt so satisfied that I haven't even minded missing the last 2 days while camping out in the hospital for my mom's surgery.  Which brings me to the lesson I've learned: take every opportunity you have when it presents itself, because you don't know when the next opportunity will come around.  For me this applies to finding time to skate, creating a new piece of jewelry, or spending time with those you love.



If life is what happens while you're making other plans, then make sure you are ready to capitalize on whatever it is that does happen.  

My mom, Jane, right before surgery.
She'd be upset with me if she knew I
posted a picture of her without her makeup.

By the way, my 88-year-old mom's surgery went off without a hitch Wednesday and she is doing better than anyone could have expected.  And now I'm making the most of the opportunity to spend time with her, my stepdad Dan, and my brother Mark, who has delayed his trip back to his home in Nepal for her surgery.  
My mom and Dan, laughing at something funny her
anesthesiologist said.  She is so great--she's about
to have her chest split open and she can still laugh!







It surely wasn't our plan for my mom to have to go through this procedure at this time, but I'm trying to see it as a wonderful chance for all of us to have a close shared experience, and I'm making the most of that.  And when my next opportunity comes around to hit the trails again, you can be sure that I will seize that opportunity too.







As they say, "Make hay while the sun shines."  And in my case, skate while the sun shines.

What opportunities do you want to take advantage of?


Keep skating and tell somebody you love them!

Nancie ♥ 

10/16/12 
Skate #142
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 5.40 miles









No comments:

Post a Comment