Monday, October 29, 2012

How To Make Do When You Have To Do Without


Hello, friends! 

In the midst of my mom's recovery from open-heart surgery, my daughter Melanie and I came to Pennsylvania for a few days to attend a dear friend's wedding.  Our trip had been planned for months, while my mom's surgery was planned just recently.  We decided not to cancel our trip, as my brother Mark and my step dad Dan were holding down the fort in our absence.

Our plan was to fly home today, but Hurricane Sandy had other ideas.  By Saturday, we learned that our flight had been canceled.  While we are stranded in Pennsylvania, my brother is stranded in San Francisco, as his flight home to Nepal was to have gone through New York.    So now Melanie and I have an unexpected bonus two days in Pennsylvania, giving me two more days with some family and friends.  We are hunkered down at my cousin's house with plenty of food, water, and other emergency supplies.  

Meanwhile, there has been no skating in my life for over a week and won't be for a number of days in my future.  This is the longest I've gone without skating since January of this year.  So what to do?

First of all, I am counting my blessings for my brother and step dad keeping an eye on things with my mom.  She is recovering quickly and is in good hands, having been released from the hospital to a rehab facility a few days ago.  

Secondly, although I am jonesing to go out for a long skate, I am appeasing myself with the knowledge that I have made skating such an integral part of my life that I know I will jump right back into it as soon as I can.  I'm relaxing and enjoying a bit of a break, eating all the yummy foods of my childhood: ring bologna, Philly cheese steaks, pizza, Tastykakes, and Aunt Barbara's chocolate cake (see recipe below).

I am also enjoying just hanging with some family and friends.  Today for instance, we hunkered down inside, watched endless mindless TV interspersed with updates on Hurricane Sandy, played cards, and howled over funny YouTube videos.  Here's one I particularly liked...it makes me cry with laughter every time I view it:



So while this is where I can't wait to be skating...



...instead I'm practicing the life skill of patience.  I know my skates and my trail will be waiting for me when I get home and get my mom settled back into her home.  Will my muscles be a bit squishier and my desire to skate more intense by the time I can get back out on the trail?  Perhaps.  Will I get back to my favorite exercise knowing that the interruption was just a temporary blip?  You bet!


Keep skating! 
Nancie ♥ 



My last skate (9 days ago!):
10/20/12 
Skate #143
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 4.52 mi



Aunt Barbara’s Extra-Rich Chocolate Cake



Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


Bring to a boil in a saucepan:

1-1/2 sticks butter
1 c. water

Sift together in a bowl:
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Pour hot mixture over dry ingredients.  Stir.

Add to bowl:
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 buttermilk or sour milk (to make sour milk: put 1/2 tsp. vinegar in a measuring cup, fill to 1/2 c. mark with milk, stir)



Beat together.  Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and back for 20-20 minutes at 375 degrees.  Do NOT over bake...it may seem a little undone in the middle, but this is just right.


While cake is still hot, sift together in a mixing bowl:
1 lb. sifted confectioners sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa

Bring the following to a boil in a medium saucepan:
1 stick butter
6 T. milk


Remove pan from heat, pour over dry ingredient and stir.  Add 1 tsp. vanilla. (If desired, add 1 c. chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans or walnuts.)  Beat until well mixed.  Pour icing over hot cake and allow to cool.

This cake is fantastic when served with cold milk.  


No comments:

Post a Comment