Saturday, August 18, 2012

5 Ways to Shake up Your Routine

Hello, friends! 

My son's driving instructor advised him to take a different route every time he drives to prevent Alzheimer's; now that my son has his license, he seeks out different directions and unfamiliar streets.  I don't know about his instructor's claim that it will prevent dementia in later years, but I strongly agree in the need to stimulate our brains.  As we age,  most of us have the tendency to settle in to familiar, safe routines, to fossilize a bit.  


Here are 5 ways that I try to shake up my routine:

1. Try a different route

Like my son's driving instructor, I try to explore different trails, different terrain.  Sometimes it can be as simple as parking at the opposite end of my trail and doing it in the opposite direction.  Sometimes it can be going off the trail and onto the street.  

2. Change your equipment

Recently, my sister gave me a pair of skates that no longer fit her.  I had been used to my 10-year-old pair that I call "Old Faithful."  These new skates were a different brand, different style, different sized wheels.  The first time I used them, it felt so awkward.  Now they don't, but they still feel different.  I have to use slightly different muscles.  My balance has to be adjusted.  I have to brake differently.  They stretch my abilities.  I love that about them.

3. Learn a new technique

I've used the same technique for years when going over bumps and curbs.  I try to relax and usually step from one skate to the other, in effect, stepping over the obstacle.  A few weeks ago I wondered if I could instead lift my body up out of my skates, in other words, "jump" over the obstacle.  Lest you think I'm trying some Evel Knievel or Tony Hawk maneuvers, let me assure you that I am not!  My wheels may not even leave the pavement, but I skate easily over the obstacles because my weight is not pressing down on the wheels.  I'm continuing to practice and practice this.  Who knows, maybe at some point you will see me clearing hurdles!

4. Push yourself a bit farther than you thought was your limit

Skate further, skate faster, skate on a day when you think you may not feel like it.  All of it helps train your brain that you are not locked into your preconceived limitations.

5. Look at obstacles as opportunities

Look obstacles not as messages that you cannot or should not do something, but instead as an indication that you need to change something: ice that sore knee, try changing your equipment, try a different technique, persevere through a challenge.  As my business coach Joan Silva says (Your Money Dream), the biggest frustration comes right before a fantastic breakthrough.  

All of this is to say that the more you apply these techniques to one aspect in your life (in my case, skating), the more you can implement growth into other parts of your life.  As I get better at skating and better at shaking up my skating routine, the more I feel comfortable stretching myself into all my endeavors--my jewelry business, my relationships, other goals and challenges.

Try picking one of these techniques in your day-to-day life...even if it's just taking a different route driving to the store!

Here's my goal while skating:  in 10 years, I want people to see me zooming by them on the hills and comment, "Wow, that old broad is still skating!"


Keep skating! 
Nancie ♥ 



 P.S. Here's the jewelry I was wearing while skating:



These earrings are super light, recycled paper beads that women in Uganda make.  The sale of their beads help these women and their families succeed.  In addition, I donate 10% of the purchase price to Kiva and other organizations that help women around the world lift themselves out of poverty.

Click here to visit my "Beads for Hope" section of my on-line shop

Click here to visit Kiva.org



8/17/12 
Skate #106
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 5.0 mi

2 comments:

  1. I love your positive attitude toward change. I know that as I get older it's easier to settle into a routine around familiar things. I find that when I tell myself that change is good, it is usually easier to make the change because there is no negative thought blocking me from it. I am often surprise by how much I like the new changes in my life.

    Thanks!

    Adolfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Adolfo,

      Thanks for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I really do think our natural tendency is to keep things safe and familiar, but if we push ourselves it really is so enlivening. I like that you tell yourself that change is good and that helps you embrace it. Isn't there some saying that the only constant in life is change?

      Warmly,
      Nancie

      Delete