Thursday, August 9, 2012

My 100th Skate of 2012!

Hello, friends!

I've been skating on in-line skates for the last 10 years off and on, but I hadn't been skating regularly over the last 5 years or so since my dear friend Cynthia moved away from the Bay Area.

In the beginning of 2012, something clicked for me exercise-wise and before too long I found myself strapping on my Rollerblades and hitting one of the nearby trails on a regular basis (usually either the Iron Horse Trail in Walnut Creek/Alamo or the Lafayette-Moraga Trail near St. Mary's).  By February I was out skating about 3 times/week.   Now I find myself putting on the skates 5 or 6 times a week.  (I could tell today that I am completely addicted when I found myself contemplating going for a second skate today--the 102 degree temperature put me off that idea!).


                              One of my favorite spots (the Lafayette-Moraga Trail)

Last week I started using a cool iPhone app from Nike (thanks, Devon!) to track my progress skating.  (It thinks I'm running rather than skating, but I like the interface and it does what I want it to do, which is to track each workout's stats--speed, distance, comparisons to previous workouts.)  Using the Nike app to track my workouts made me stop and calculate about how many times I've skated since the beginning of 2012.  I realized that today would be about my 100th skate (okay I may be off by one or two, but for my purposes, let say today was number 100!).  Most of my skates are 4 to 5 miles long, so that means I've skated more than 400 miles in 2012.

Skating for me is like a moving meditation.  Somehow when I skate, ideas just pop into my conscious  mind from somewhere deep in my soul.  I get ideas for my jewelry business--NamiZuni Jewelry Design (namizunijewelry.etsy.com), insights into problems I've been wrestling with, and lessons from skating that apply to my life in general.

In a nutshell, NamiZuni is my inner goddess.  When I skate, she speaks to me.  More later about how "NamiZuni" got her name...

What can you do to honor your bliss?

Keep skating!
Nancie  






2 comments:

  1. What you said about skating and ideas made me think of Jonah Lehrer's How Creativity Works
    I think you will find it interesting.

    Adolfo

    ReplyDelete