Friday, August 10, 2012

Yee-haaaaa!

Hello, friends!

Today I got out early because it promises to be another hot one (okay, I know "it's a dry heat" but 102 is still hot, even without east-coast humidity!).  I went locally on the Lafayette-Moraga Trail near St. Mary's College (one of my favorite hilly skates).  I park near the petanque courts (can someone please explain the difference between petanque and bocci ball?) and skate to the Commons and back (a little over 4 miles).  The beauty of it is that I do all the steepest uphills on my way out and am rewarded by some awesome speedy downhill sections on the way back to my car.  

Many years ago the leader of my mom's hiking club in Tahoe was telling her that everyone should have an expression that works like a sort of rally for action, a battle cry if you will.  When you are having an especially exciting time or if you are trying to psych yourself up to do something hard, you invoke this expression, spurring you to do your best and to have fun while doing it.  You know, something like "hoo-rah" or "woo-hoo!" or "I'm the king of the world!"

I decided my rally cry would be "Yee-ha!"  Whenever I skate down the steepest part of the hill (which happens to bank at a weird angle and has an especially bumpy section right at the bottom), I put my arms up in the air and shout out "Yeeeeee-haaaaaaa!"  I'm sure the pedestrians think I'm a bit crazy, but the bikers seem to get it;  I think they understand the thrill and excitement of speeding just a bit out of control.

What's your rally cry?

Keep skating!
Nancie  


Skate #101
Temp. 73 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment