Saturday, August 25, 2012

Skating Your Way to Bliss

Hello, friends! 

This week has been an incredibly exciting week for me.  As many of you know, I sent out my first email newsletter announcing the opening of my online jewelry shop.  



The newsletter took me far longer than I thought possible, requiring me to learn a bit of HTML in the process (which was much more than I really wanted to know!).  But I know it's all personal growth!  It has been my dream for more than 5 years to have my jewelry available online.  So, having that dream come to fruition in a big way has made me feel like I am exactly where I should be.  An amazing feeling!

How does this relate to skating, you may ask.  Well, it made me think about self care and what we each do that helps us feel happy, grounded, and at peace during what can be stressful times (for even positive change can be stressful).  For me, an essential component of keeping myself mentally on track is to go skating.  So, even though I did not find time to blog about skating this week, rest assured that I made sure I found the time to skate.  

This last week, I skated 6 out of 7 days (rested today and instead had lunch at Corners Tavern in Walnut Creek with husband Marty and, by chance, friends Marie and Ken--just what I needed to have fun and relax).  But I know I'm truly addicted to skating when there are days I actually contemplate going a second time in the same day!  I know, some of you think I'm mental.

Here's what I get out of skating:

1. Endorphins:  I think the more you exercise, the better you are at finding that zone where you are optimizing the endorphin production in your brain...the best natural drug around!

2. Calm: I feel so much more resilient to handle problems if I'm skating regularly.

3. Joy: I smile almost the entire time, even when working my tail off skating uphill into a headwind.  It is one of the happiest time of my day (haha...okay, I know, the endorphins, but it's more than that).  On the downhills, I literally am dancing down the hill.  Such childlike exuberance!

4. Energy: the more I exercise, the better my body feels.

5. Insight: I've started writing ideas down in the "Notes" app on my iPhone as I skate, because the most amazing flashes just leap unbidden into my consciousness as I roll along the trail.  For instance, I often think of jewelry pieces I want to create, ideas for my jewelry newsletter, even the idea to create this blog came to me while skating...so many, many bits of inspiration.  

Recently, while I was skating, I had the thought that I'd like to show a jewelry piece from beginning to end and document it in my newsletter week by week (see the first photo below, which was in my first e-newsletter).  I just try to listen and honor the messages my deep wise mind sends my way, even if I don't immediately know what the message means.

Some beads on my bench that are calling out for me to create a new piece.
I think they will become a necklace, but don't hold me to it!

I know these are not new ideas to those of you that would consider themselves athletes.  My friend Tricia, for instance, has transformed her life as she's gotten into running over the last couple of years--it is so inspiring.  I consider her an athlete.  As for me, until about 7 months ago I would never have considered thought that way about myself.  Sure, at times I've been regular at exercise, but something has now changed in my brain and I no longer consider exercise optional, particularly joyous exercise.  Feels pretty darn good, I have to say.

I hope that you also have something in your life you enjoy and depend on like I do skating, especially as you go through tumultuous times.  If you have something like that, bravo and keep it up!  If you feel like that part of your life is is somehow missing in action, give something new a try!  If you think inline skating might be that thing for you, leave me a message here and maybe we meet up on the trail. 

Keep skating! 
Nancie ♥ 

Click here to read my newsletter


P.S. I think in my next blog, I'll have to explain who NamiZuni is and why my jewelry business has that name!



8/24/12 
Skate #113
Lafayette-Moraga Trail 2.8 mi


No comments:

Post a Comment