Saturday, August 11, 2012

Preparation


Hello, friends!

This morning I was reminded of how important preparation is in any undertaking, but specifically skating. Every time I skate I always put my gear on in the same order (and try to leave it all in the car) so that I don't forget anything (I've forgotten my helmet in months past, which chagrins me in retrospect, as my helmet is one of my most important pieces of equipment--it protects the part of me that I'd most like to keep!).  This morning as I was leaving the house, I was thinking that I never like to leave the house without some jewelry, at least earrings--I am a jewelry designer, after all, here are the earrings I was wearing:





New Zealand abalone:

(I was even thinking to myself..."Wow, I even have some of my favorite earrings on...I am SO prepared!")



https://www.etsy.com/listing/104121086/paua-shell-new-zealand-abalone-and


Here's my normal pre-skate routine:

Eat a Fage cherry yogurt before leaving house...check
Drive to skating trail...check
Headphones...check
Helmet...check
Socks...check (well, I've forgotten these more times than I'd like!)
Skates...check
Wrist guards...check
Lock car...check

Then I select a playlist on my iPhone, start my Nike + runner app and hit the trail.  Yee-haa!  

This morning I was driving to my starting point and I went, "Duh!  My skates are still at home!"  I had brought them inside last night to put in new gel insoles.  I was so excited to get out there and exercise before it got hot (and even feeling so smug that I was stylishly decked out in pretty earrings), that I was just on auto-pilot.  Now, I've skated without one or two of the items in my preparation list above.  I think the skates, however, are the one piece of equipment I would be hard pressed to do without!

I'm a firm believer that the universe provides you obstacles to test how much you want something, and I really wanted to skate, so I turned around and drove home, grabbed my skates, and finally hit the trail a bit later than expected.  It was all good.  Great skate, cocoa cappuccino (with chocolate drizzle on top depicting the men's platform diving finals...thanks, barrista Jennifer, lol!), and then home to shower.

If you want to see what I have to say in this skating blog from time to time, I created a Facebook page called "NamiZuni Skates."  You can click on the following link, click the "Like" button, and then you'll get minimal posting from this blog that you can either read if you want or ignore if you have your own life!

                    New Facebook page:                        http://www.facebook.com/namizuniskates



By the way, my friend Adolfo (who is a real gem...so smart and so supportive!) pointed me towards the author Jonah Lehrer, who has some fascinating insights into the creative process (after I wrote how I often get creative jewlery ideas and other insights while I skate).  According to Lehrer, sometimes we need a break from a project to clear our heads (such as a walk or a skate) and sometimes we need to buckle down and use our perseverance to power through a problem.  As it turns out, according to his research into the subject, if we listen, our brains instinctively know which choice will lead to the best outcome for a particular problem.

Here is a link to his talk on NPR:

Jonah Lehrer



Tomorrow: yoga class with my sweet husband.


Keep skating!
Nancie  


Skate #102

Lafayette-Moraga Trail
78 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment